IGP Solomon Arase
IGP Solomon Arase

The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday arrested two suspects at the Ajegunle area of the state following a clash between some hoodlums and members of the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC).

A 31-year-old man, Rasheed Olanrewaju, was killed and two others were injured during the incident on April 26, 2016. Olanrewaju was buried yesterday in accordance with Islamic rites.

Many buildings were also torched during the incident, which occurred around 10pm on Arumo Street. Olanrewaju, a labourer at Wharf, was said to have gone out to look for food when a stray bullet hit him on his chest. He died instantly.

The two factions were said to have fought over the sharing of money collected from a land developer. According to the reports, an OPC leader in the area collected money from a man who wanted to develop, but refused to give others their share.

During the fight that lasted over two hours, guns and other lethal weapons were freely used. Many ran indoors to avoid being hit by stray bullets. Among the injured was an OPC member who works in an adjourning street. One of the two persons arrested by the police over the incident allegedly sustained armpit injury.

Anti-riot police and Rapid Response Squad (RRS) operatives were deployed in the neighbourhood to restore peace. Residents said the huge police presence should be sustained for a week to avert a resurgence. They noted that it was not the first time such a clash would happen in the neighbourhood.

The Spokesperson of the Lagos State Police Command, SP Dolapo Badmos, confirmed the incident that there was a fight between area boys and Vigilante group members at Arumo Street in Ajagunle over ‘Omo onile’ money. The Commander of the Vigilante group allegedly collected the money and refused to share with the area boys. As a result, the hoodlums attacked the vigilantes and set their office, as well as a nearby kiosk, ablaze. In the process, the vigilantes shot and killed one person. The police went to the scene and restored calm. Two persons were arrested, while two live and four expended cartridges were recovered. The case is under investigation


Leave a ReplyCancel reply