The Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Mohammadu Buhari has appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Prior to his appointment Major General Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army and the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter terrorism Counter Insurgency military outfit in the North East code named Operation HADIN KAI.
It could be recalled that Late Lt.General Ibrahim Attahiru was appointed by President Buhari as Chief of Army staff in January 2021 who had plane crash on his way to Kaduna state for officer assignment together with 10 other officers, they were all died.
Acting Director Defence Information Brigadier Nwachukwu made the appointment of new Chief of army staff known to the press.
Here are five things to know about the new Chief of Army Staff:
1. Major Gen. Farouk Yahaya is an indigene of Zamfara State.
2. The new COAS was the former General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
3. The new COAS was also a Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
4. Yahaya is of Regular course 37 of the Nigerian Defense Academy.
5. Until his recent appointment, Yahaya was the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter terrorism military outfit in the North East code-named ‘Operation Hadin Kai’